Sunday, August 10, 2008

Worm Update

I’ve previously posted about my adventure into vermiculture. Since I’ve had my first casting harvest I thought it appropriate to post an update. As a novice worm farmer (and I use that phrase lightly) I must admit to making some mistakes. Although the castings have come out rich and dark (apparently a sign of a successful harvest) there were a few minor setbacks. The first of which is fruit flies. Not uncommon to worm bins I had more than my share. A word to the wise here, don’t leave you’re scrap bowl out for more than a day or two before adding it to your bin. If you need to keep it longer you can place it in the fridge or freezer until the time you need it. If you happen to encounter fruit flies before then a minute or two in the microwave should rectify the situation. I was able to reduce my fruit fly infestation to a fruit fly or two here and there thanks to the Internet. A few well placed traps all but eliminated the problem. Be sure to look up fruit fly traps if you encounter the same problem as they are very simple to make and extremely effective.

The next mistake I made was foul odor. Although not overpowering it was a tad unpleasant. Even just the hint of a foul odor in my basement makes me a bit uneasy. If you encounter this all you really need to do is stop feeding your bin. The odor comes from over feeding your bin and once you stop feeding it your worms should make short order of the excess food. Once the excess food is dispensed of the odor will disappear. It’s just that simple.

Since I’ve started my little experiment in vermiculture I’ve notice that my diet has become more produce based. The increase in produce has caused an increase in produce scraps. Increased produce scraps leads to an increase in worm population and in order to accommodate this increase in population I’ve decided to add additional worm bins. I’m up to 3 now and expect to add a fourth shortly. This would appear to be more work but aside from casting harvest I haven’t really noticed a difference in effort.

I’m no expert but from my experience the toughest part of composting your produce scraps via red worms is harvesting the castings. It’s a time consuming and tedious task. It is for this reason I’ve decided to come up with a more efficient means of harvesting the castings. I pulled a drawer out of a piece of furniture in my bedroom (that was destined for Craig’s List anyway) and decided to pull the bottom off replacing it with screening to screen out my castings. Although I’ve yet to do this I feel pretty confident it will make relatively short work of casting harvesting. I’ll keep you posted on the results.

When my friends and neighbors learn of my basement activity they seem genuinely surprised at first. I’ve since found that the promise of future castings have brought me fresh, organic, pesticide free produce. It’s nice to know that the power of castings in the future will bring me a meal today. For some reason I can’t get the phrase “I’ll gladly pay to you tomorrow for a cheeseburger today” out of my head. When people learn that worm castings are 7 times more effective than normal composting I think the little wheels in their brains start turning. Add that to the fact that I expect to start making a “tea” out of my castings and I think the lure is just too lucrative to pass up.

Ok, I’m just going to finish this up with one final note. I told a friend of mine of my activities and although they are not composting with red worms they started to compost their food scraps in a pile at the corner of their garden. Something they didn’t do previously and I’d like to think I had something to do with that. I’m jealous over the fact that they have a backyard enabling them to grow a garden and they seem to be jealous over the fact that I have 3 worm bins in my basement. I’m guessing that we’re going to have a productive relationship (produce wise) in the future. It shouldn’t be that hard to trade my castings and tea for fresh produce.

What are you doing with your food scraps?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
Sorry to post a comment, this is not really a comment, more a request but I couldn't find your email.

I think your blog is very interesting. Maybe you would be interested in posting your blogs on my website, http://www.altglobe.com which is talking about what's in the World in terms of green, sustainabillity, spirituality that all go together


The idea is to help you spreading your word by extending your community.
We feel there are lots of individuals interested in these big challenges for the year to come -both individual and community challenges - and our goal is to help everyone reaching information of how they can achieve those changes. I think your posts would be a tremendous contribution to that.

All you need to do is creating a profile and let me know you want to post, and then you can actually just *email* your blog whenever you have a new post. It's that easy! The website will take care about linking it to your profile and respect most of your editing (website links, images, fonts…) - yes it will crop out some things like weird smileys or what not -
Please check out my website and our current bloggers! They are all on the home page!
(Note you cannot have access to any profile until you are registered, but you can see all the articles).



Please tell me how it sounds to you, hope to hear from you soon…

Please note this week we have a our first contest! bloggers can win wonderful experiences and / or gifts generously given by our members!
Of course this community is free
cristele AT Altglobe DOT com

kittykat said...

Sean!
Haven't read your blog in a while, but funny that the first post I see is on worms again. My mums and I bought a composting bin for all our leaves and such and a worm bin. Both are in the mail and then all that's left will be to purchase the worms. I am going to contact one of my mother's friends for more info and tips and I'll be sure to pass them along. That's the info so far and maybe we can share some stories in the future. Keep up the great lifestyle!

snu said...

Sneakekat,

If you need some worms just let me know. I'd be happy to make arrangements to get you some worms out of my bins.

snu

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'm writing to you on behalf of EcoPerks "Go Paperless". As a lifestyle blogger, I thought this would be of interest to you and your blog readers.

I'm reaching out today to let you know about their Paperless campaign. They are encouraging individuals to 'Go Paperless' on all of their bills and statements that they would normally receive in the mail. When you pledge that you will go paperless, you receive special VIP EcoPoints, that are redeemable for premium items on EcoPerks!

We are also asking bloggers to post their Paperless badge on their site to encourage other people to go paperless as well.

http://www.ecoperks.com/paperless.php

EcoPerks is a community with a unique blend of cause, commerce, content and impactful tools for individuals who are dedicated to living an eco-friendly lifestyle. EcoPerks is based on an affinity program that rewards people for making positive environmental decisions, like reducing your carbon footprint. These EcoPoints can be exchanged for goods – similar to the way a credit card rewards program works.


I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Best,
Ian


Ian DeFeo . Account Manager

YouCast Corporation
289 Grand Street,
Brooklyn, NY 11211 USA
p. 718. 388. 0070
m. 609. 649. 8408
email. idefeo@youcastcorp.com

Anonymous said...

Greetings,

My name is Bill Hawthorne, and I represent maacenter.org, a leading web resource for asbestos exposure and mesothelioma cancer information. Our organization is dedicated to increasing awareness of the terrible health consequences of asbestos exposure through the distribution of the best informational materials and public outreach efforts.

I found your site through a search and decided to contact you because of its high environmental and green presence which is extremely important in our movement. Your viewers are extremely savvy and motivated. The promotion of how buildings should now be built using sustainable green products to avoid asbestos and mesothelioma as well as the awareness of past buildings and preventative steps in avoiding asbestos exposure are extremely important. My goal is to get a resource link on your site/blog or even to provide a guest posting to be placed.

I look forward to hearing from you. Please feel free to check out our website. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Bill Hawthorne
bhawthorne@maacenter.org
MAA Center is now on Twitter – follow us @maacenter