Sunday, June 15, 2008

Fluorescent light

Most of the electricity we use is produced by burning fossil fuels. The U.S. Department of energy reports that more than 85% of the energy we use comes from fossil fuels and since they are not a renewable source of energy I am looking to reduce my dependence on them. One of the ways I’m trying to do that is by reducing the amount of electricity I use.

I started to replace my incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent light bulbs. Compact fluorescents use roughly 26% of the wattage as a comparable incandescent bulb. If I understand this correctly (and I hope that I do) this means that I should use 74% less electricity to light my apartment with using nothing but compact fluorescent light as opposed to incandescent light. I’ve noticed that there is a slight delay between turning on my light switch and the light actually coming on. I’ve also noticed that it takes a few seconds for a compact fluorescent light to give off the maximum amount of light when it’s turned on. I can live with that.

Some folks that I’ve talked to about using fluorescent light in the home feel that it doesn’t give off the same kind of light and for them that’s enough of a reason not to use them. I’ve also talked to people that use fluorescents that can tell the difference in light but don’t seem to mind it. I honestly can’t tell the difference. I was out to dinner with my parents this evening and after dinner we went back to their place. They had also started to replace their incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescents. I hadn’t noticed but my mom said she was able to tell the difference in the light given off by each type of bulb. It didn’t seem to bother her though. Well, long story short (or short story long) I don’t think that compact fluorescent light bulbs are the same as the shop lights with the long tubes that we’re all familiar with. I am quite content using my fluorescent lights.

One final note here…compact fluorescent light bulbs can last up to eight years but they do contain mercury. Although they can save electricity and therefore reduce the amount of fossil fuels I consume I realize that I will need to dispose of them in a responsible fashion after they have outlived their usefulness.

No comments: